On this day, Terminal Cerros de Valparaíso (TCVAL), holder of the project to expand Terminal 2 in the Port of Valparaíso,
joined Complementary Addendum No. 2 to the Environmental Evaluation System (SEIA), thus providing a response to the observations made by public services in environmental and citizenship matters. All of these are included in the Consolidated Report on Clarifications, Rectifications or Extensions, Complementary ICSARA No. 2, published by the Environmental Evaluation Service in the Region of Valparaíso in October 2017.
This new document seeks to improve the quality of life of all port residents, in addition to resolving a lack of port infrastructure currently existing in Valparaíso. As a result maritime port standards will be raised, both locally and nationally.
Complementary Addendum No. 2, joining the SEIA, contains a series of improvements on the measures proposed in the prior stage of the environmental process, in order to mitigate and compensate the project’s impact.
Below are the main compensation measures proposed:
- Restoration of the historic Ascensor Lecheros
- Provision of a new access point to the coastline, implementing urban integration fixtures between the city and the Port, by building a raised gangwalk at Edwards St.
- Improving the public area at Eje Errázuriz (both sides)
- Improving and constructing the Carlos Pezoa Véliz and Cerro Toro viewpoints, respectively
- Heritage protection plan and fire-fighting safety terms, for neighborhoods and buildings in the city of Valparaíso, managing cultural interest areas and assets
- Plan to enhance and recover underwater cultural heritage, including exhibitions and citizen information on the main archaeological remains discovered during the works
- Contribution to the Heritage Management of the World Heritage Site and Symbolic Historical Area in Valparaíso
- Drafting of a Master Coastline Plan
- Follow-up on economic variables associated to port activity impact on the region
By joining Complementary Addendum No. 2, we are fully convinced that we have made all possible effort in human and professional terms. Once this process is complete, we will be in a position to launch a project that will be highly beneficial for the city of Valparaíso and its residents.
In addition, materialization of Terminal 2 will guarantee competitiveness in Chile, worldwide, will reactivate the local economy and will help our city continue its development, in order to once again reach the highest port standards in the world.